Practice Charts

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Matt_*

• Guests

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

I'm starting a project about practice charts. Do you use them or not, how much do you require, if you don't use them what to you use instead. Or if you know of any articles or research about this topic let me know. Thanks

#2 Guest_Richard Bresowar_*

• Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:49 PM

Students must turn in one per week for a grade. 150 minutes per week of practice is my basic requirement. It ends up that not turning in charts cost about a letter grade on their overall band grade.

Richard Bresowar

#3 TAC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 11:40 AM

Check out Smart Music. It is a program that kids can use to practice with. It plays accompaniments to solos and has many practice features. It can also record, so they can e-mail you their playing test or weekly assignment.

#4 Meldog

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Music (of course), Rollerblading, Golf, Hockey, Camping/Hiking, Biking, Star Wars (who doesn't like the movies:)

Posted 26 December 2005 - 04:00 PM

For me it depends on the grade level. I would use them at any grade level but it would also depend on the kind of school. I've worked in a school where 90% of the kids studied privately. In that case they didn't even do weekly lessons and did not use practice sheets at the High School level. In a majority of cases I would use them though. They end up being about being 50% of the grade or right around there. I would require once a week and depending on the kind of distrct I am in it would vary on how much time a week I would require my students to practce.
Adam W. Metzler
Central Aroostook High School & Fort Street Elementary School Instrumental Music Teacher

#5 Guest_Diane_*

• Guests

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:47 AM

I teach junior high and I require my kids to turn in a weekly practice log of at least 210 minutes each week.

#6 ProfMishka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Family, music, traveling, politics.... the ususal

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have come to the conclusion that practice charts work OK for middle school and below, but they turn high school kids and their parents into liars and exaggerators. Developing a system that requires practice to meet the goals and social norms (the concept of honor is effective) of the ensemble and playing tests to check for proficiency works better.

#7 cvano

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:19 PM

I teach beginning band at the 4th and 5th grade level. We currently record number of minutes practiced each week in our method books. I want to include goals and some journaling - what did they practice, maybe something they listened too; self evaluation stuff. Anyone use anything like that! I've done a google search, and found some ideas. Looking for more. Thanks!