• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SevenEight

SevenEight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 12:36 AM

Do you think it is better to conduct Take Five in 3 and 2 or just 5?

#2 Meldog

Meldog

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Music (of course), Rollerblading, Golf, Hockey, Camping/Hiking, Biking, Star Wars (who doesn't like the movies:)

Posted 27 March 2006 - 01:46 AM

I don't know the piece off hand but what's the tempo? Is it two fast to do in a 2 type pattern? If it's slower I wouldn't do it in 3 and 2. I would do an actual 5 pattern instead. Depending on the subdivision you can do the 5 pattern 3&2 or 2&3. I would at all cost avoid doing a 2 and 3 pattern to get the 5. The group needs that strong downbeat on 1 and when doing two patterns you are giving them two strong downbeats. Plus if they look up quickly and see you go down with the baton they won't know if the ictus you are giving is one or four.
Adam W. Metzler
Central Aroostook High School & Fort Street Elementary School Instrumental Music Teacher

#3 WHSFoster

WHSFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:54 AM

We are doing an arrangement of this with one of our Jazz Ensembles. I conduct it in 3+2, because the bass part dictates that. I'm not sure of your arrangement, but take a look at how it is structured, then make the best decision. Or, better than that, ask the kids what would work for them. They are ultimately the ones that need to feel the most comfortable with your conducting.

Foster
Warren Local Bands
www.warrenlocalbands.org
Christopher R. Foster
Director of Bands, Warren Local Schools
Professor of Trumpet, Marietta College
www.warrenlocalbands.org

#4 Mooney

Mooney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:35 PM

Take Five has a 3 + 2 feel, but I don't conduct my jazz band except for ballads.

#5 cpbicigo

cpbicigo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:49 AM

Conducting a faster piece like this one has some caveats.  Though it is helpful for the beginning of the year to keep things together and make sure people are staying steady, it would be more useful to stay away and only give big entrances and such later on in the semester.  Since this is such a big "feel" song, it would be best to wean them off of the steady conducting and let them get in the groove themselves.