want to be a band director

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ali_*

• Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

I want to be a high school band director, but I don't have the right education. I got my BA in English about four years ago. I don't play any brass instruments--I played the flute in concert and marching band in high school, orchestra in college). I never played in a jazz band. I think most high school band directors direct the concert, marching, and jazz bands, and they teach brass. If being a brass teacher is the only way, how feasible is it to take up a brass instrument at this point and make this career change? I know that the saxophone is similar to the flute, but is a sax player more acceptable as a band director than a flute?

How do I get from point A to B?

#2 Guest_Guest_Heckel_*_*

• Guests

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

You'll need a music education degree for this, Ali. This will include classes on all the instruments, intensive music theory, and psychology classes, so you better understand how those young minds work. Plus electives, like jazz and marching band. Then there's the student teaching part, where you put all of your theory into practice. With a degree already completed, you probably won't need 4 years of schooling. Hope this helps. Good luck!

#3 Meldog

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Music (of course), Rollerblading, Golf, Hockey, Camping/Hiking, Biking, Star Wars (who doesn't like the movies:)

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:32 AM

It doesn't matter what instrument you play as your main one but how well you can learn to play and understand the other instruments, especially how to teach them. You will take classes to learn all the instruments and no matter your background as long as you put the time in for each of your classes when taking pedagogy classes you will learn the instruments well enough to teach them. As the above poster said be ready for psychology, music history, theory, sight singing/ear training, conducting, education courses, and lots of playing.

As far as what you will be doing it really depends. Some schools there are no marching bands or jazz bands and you just have concert band. Some schools have small ensembles, marching band, pep band, concert band, and jazz band. It really depends on the school so you need to be ready for anything unless you have the luxury to be a little picky. If you are up for a lot of work and you can put the large amounts of hours each week practicing the instruments and studying then go for it. Now that I have a job I never regretted getting a Music Ed degree. I love every kid I have and I love every minute of teaching them.
Adam W. Metzler
Central Aroostook High School & Fort Street Elementary School Instrumental Music Teacher