Small band Music selection.

1 reply to this topic

#1 lepper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:45 AM

Any music help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a fill in band teacher for the next several months and I'm having difficulty figuring out music for the H.S. band. The main issue is, it is a small group. I have 4 trumpets, 2 clarinets, 1 flute, 1 Sax, 1 tuba, 1 bass, and 2 percussion. (I may have 1 trombone still working on that)

I'm looking for music for a small ensemble. So far the only thing I've found is stuff for a Dixie land type ensemble. Anyone have a direction to point me in? There a specific publisher I should be looking to? A specific music store to buy from?

One thought was to take some choir pieces and transpose them for the instruments. I'd rather not do this if I can find some decent small band music that will work. The students I do have are very talented. My goal is to help them perform good sounding music for the Christmas concert, but finding songs that we can do is proving to be extremely difficult.

Thanks for any and all help!
Dave

#2 Musique Educator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:09 PM

I too have a small band (a little bigger than what you have) and I don't look for music for small bands because all I find are the flex band stuff or stuff for elementary band. Instead, if I find a piece that I like, we will play it and I will rewrite parts if needed. However, you will be surprised at how many songs you can get away with playing with only a little part modification. So basically, get a song you like and play it, and rewrite parts if needed.