• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 triplem57

triplem57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

I'm only a sophomore in high school, just finishing up my second marching season in about thirty minutes, but my dream is to become a band director. Cliche for a band kid right? It's something that I would be so happy doing, since band is my favorite thing in the world. It's not the fact that I can't or it's impossible because it's not, but I feel like I wouldn't be a good one. The thing is, my band director is my idol, inspiration, and my role model. He is an amazing band director, been directing for 31 years. He has won TN state championship five times. He was the professor of music at my favorite university. He
is everything I wish to be. The problem is that I'm nothing like him, musically at least. I'm 5th chair in symphonic band (the 'average' band). Which means I'm not a good player. I don't know everything musically that I will need to be
a winning band director. Anyways, I just needed to spill. Hopefully one day I'll be a winning director one day. -Madison

#2 Gilbert26

Gilbert26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Madison,

You said it yourself, you're only a sophomore! you've got PLENTY of time to learn the ways of a band director! When I left middle school, i didn't even know what a B flat concert scale was, or how to play it. (I play clarinet). Over my years in high school, band became my life. I could never afford private lessons, but I gave playing my all and did as best as I could. Your dream is exactly as mine was. And believe me, I doubted myself just as you're currently doing. But you know what? There is a reason that you have to go to college to get a music education degree to become a band director. I was admitted into my university's music department as a 'probational' music major. They gave me a semester to take private lessons with the clarinet professor and start my music courses, and then let me re-audition at the end of the semester. I worked my butt off that semester and for my entire time in college to be a better clarinet player. I passed that second audition and graduated last May with a degree in music education! So it's possible to be at what you feel is the bottom, and then rise to the top!

Even the best band directors do not know everything. A career in education is always a learning environment for both the student and the teacher. Don't doubt yourself so early! Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions you might have along the way B)/>

~Ashley
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach