instrument brands to avoid

3 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaGreene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 09:05 PM

I am currently enrolled in the band organization and management class at the Univ. at TN at Chattanooga (I am not a teacher yet, though I am a pit tech), and we are currently in charge of preparing a mock budget. We have to choose specific brands and models of each instrument we "purchase" and explain why we chose those brands. Any advice on what brands and models to avoid would be helpful. I understand that cheaper is sometimes acceptable for a school horn, but how cheap is too cheap? And what brands should I never buy?

Thank you for your help and time,

Melissa Greene

#2 Guest_sdeuel_*

• Guests

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

Melissa,

Here are a few tips when it comes to buying instruments. I think, even more important than the price, is where does the instrument come from? I mean that in a couple different ways:

First, I mean what country was the instrument made in? If it's made in the USA, Japan, or much of Europe, you're in good shape. If it's made in China, Indonesia, or Taiwan, you should be aware that much of what comes from those countries is junk. However, if you know what you're looking for, you can find good instruments at good prices from those countries too. You should not be spending under $400 or $500 for any wind instrument. Anything under that, I would be wary of where it came from and what kind of quality it is.

Second, what business are you buying it from? Getting an instrument from a reputable, local music dealer, or a well know national distributer with a good reputation is a good bet. Getting it from a web-site you have never heard of, or E-bay type sites is a BAD idea. Especially if you are buying Asian/far-east instruments bought off of unknown website. I have known people who have bought instruments this way and the instruments belong on the wall for decoration, or they should be made into a lamp!

FOR LEGAL REASONS, I WON'T SAY WHAT BRANDS NOT TO BUY - BROOK MAYS, A WONDERFUL MUSIC DEALER IN TEXAS WAS SUED BY ONE OF THESE BRANDS FOR SAYING THE INSTRUMENTS WERE JUNK!!!!

These are the brands I have found very durable, and very dependable (this covers woodwinds, brass, and percussion): Bach (Brass), Yamaha(EVERYTHING!), Ludwig (Percussion), Musser (percussion), Gemeinhardt (flutes), Buffet (clarinets), Accent (everything), Conn (Brass), Selmer (woodwinds), Besson (Brass), Courtois (Brass), King(brass), Trevor James (flutes), Pearl (flutes), Cannonball (saxophones), Jupiter (especially their low brass and flutes)... and a few more that I can't remember right now.

Do your research within the band directors in your area - what do they like?

Hope that helps!

#3 WHSFoster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:49 AM

Melissa,

Wow, Sdeul is right on the money. When I read your post, I already had an idea of what to say, and then it was already stated! Wonderful job. I agree 100% with you. Even though I try to steer my band parents away from "less quality" instruments, a few always seem to pop up every year.

One issue with some of these instruments is that they do not have repair parts to fix them, and my local music instrument repair guy won't even touch 'em! So, I usually go out to a local flea market and find an instrument that is name brand, and has parts to fix it with, to repair and give to the student so they won't drop out of the program.

Foster
Warren Band
www.warrenlocalbands.org
Christopher R. Foster
Director of Bands, Warren Local Schools
Professor of Trumpet, Marietta College
www.warrenlocalbands.org

#4 Angelina_Apr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:sport, Music, basketball

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Dothan only had N9323R for a short time in the 1963 time frame. Its primary B-17s were N3701G, N5017N, and N4710C. See the new Warbird Digest issue for an article on the Dothan B-17s. I havent seen it yet but it should have some good stuff in it.
hey guys, who has the balls? :)