Big Jazz Band Arrangement Tunes I Do Not Know

1 reply to this topic

#1 adamdastmalchi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hello,

I have had a big jazz band arrangement excerpt on my ipod for the longest time and have never been able to identify the tunes. I either want the exact arrangement or the separate tunes from other music stores. There are three tunes in the excerpt I am mentioning, and I only know one of them: Basin St Blues. Here is the piece:

http://www.box.com/s...sdd1b6nc08f70n4

Do any of you know the names of the first two pieces?

#2 pace of the bass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

This recording sounds like a concert band or wind ensemble, but definitely not a jazz big band.

Anyway, the arrangement seems to be a brief medley of New Orleans/traditional/early jazz/dixieland tunes,.as an intro to Basin Street Blues (assuming it continues after the clip).

00:00 to 00:22 tough to tell with the audio starting in the middle of the phrase, but I'm pretty sure its Saints Go Marching In, as an expressive rubato. It's definitely the last seven melody notes of "saints" at 00:14 and then makes sense melodically from the beginning of the clip on a second listening.

That goes right into brief modulating quotes of Mame and Hello Dolly at 00:24 to 00:36. At 00:37 its Tin Roof Blues into Basin Street, which you called correctly.

I saw an arrangement on JW Pepper for concert band called "New Orleans Remembered" no audio to listen to, but that would be the direction I'd look in.

Good luck.