No replies to this topic

#1 jaeroplane

jaeroplane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

Hey, all.
I am an experienced band/orchestra director in a new school, a science-technology-engineering-math magnet school. There are six other high schools in the district, one of which is a fine arts magnet. Because we're a magnet school, we pull students from all over the city for our focus programs, the district has set policies that make recruiting difficult: I cannot visit any of the 11 middle schools except the three "pathway" school (that is, the magnet middle schools with programs that lead into our school's magnet program), and, because we are not the fine arts magnet, I cannot actively recruit for the music department (I cannot even say to any middle school student "You should come play in the band at our school."). I'm really only limited to finding out what middle school students have chosen our school and get them into the band. As you can probably imagine, this makes things difficult for me to put together a new, exciting, and successful plan for growth in numbers and abilities.
I am trying to find articles that might address this issue. I have already read the articles that discuss good recruitment practices and have put many into effect, but this new district makes it near impossible to do any of these.
Thoughts, ideas, articles I should read? Thanks!