Questions about Being a Band Director

3 replies to this topic

#1 Ludy Beth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

I'm currently a university student from a different country, majoring in something that has clearly nothing to do with music.
But I spent my teenage years back in the US, and I participated in Concert Band, Jazz Band, and a couple months of Marching band.
For now, I'm studying something I feel I should learn, but I honestly can't say this is what I want to do for the rest of my life...

Enough about my background, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions... please help me out if you don't mind.....
What if I wanted to become a band director? I still play my instruments at times, but I'm really not as good as I used to be. And I'm also going to have to finish college before I move anywhere else. But once I get it all done, I'm willing to move into US and and do whatever it takes..... even if it means more studying.
Do you think the idea is too impractical or unreal? Is there anyone who started off a bit later than everyone else....? or could I get some tips to keep me moving before I actually jump into this whole music education stuff?

Thank you so much for reading this...... and one short comment of yours could change my life (:

#2 hmsbandmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Horn playing - I also teach college applieds; running, weight lifting, family

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I realize you posted this in Feb but I just joined the forums. We need more quality band directors who have their hearts in their work and who truly love kids. A music ed. degree is very doable. If you have not had formal lessons on your instrument, it is never too late. A very successful director that I know came to college as a rock drummer and learned how to read music and play legit percussion. He is in a large school and his bands are highly successful and competitive. If you have the desire and work ethic, there are many colleges here that would be glad to have you. I am part time faculty member at a small university that would be more than happy to talk to you and I could also suggest others :)
Michael Saul
Band Director
Hannibal Middle School
Hannibal, MO 63401

#3 bassman72

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have a degree in music performance/humanities and I am an ex navy bass player. I want to teach high school marching band; I marched in the Dec 7 parade in Hawaii and I love jazz. I dont know which direction to go to achieve this? How can I get started teaching at 40 years old?

#4 hmsbandmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Horn playing - I also teach college applieds; running, weight lifting, family

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Best thing to do is to inquire at your closest 4-year college that has a music ed. major. If all that you need is certification to teach, you may only need ed. courses and student teaching. Have you had methods courses in all the instrument families and conducting? If not, you will certainly need those but you obviously have had theory and music history as well as plenty of performing opportunities. You could maybe get this all done in a year plus maybe a summer or 2.

You are to be commended for wanting to bring your experience to students!
Michael Saul
Band Director
Hannibal Middle School
Hannibal, MO 63401