5 replies to this topic

#1 Kadmon

Kadmon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hi,
I'm newly assigned to teach a remedial band, ie. the kids who didn't make the other two bands in audition. I'm concerned about motivating them to want to do well and not just feel like they belong to the "losers" group. Any thoughts?

#2 Guest_JoAnn_*

Guest_JoAnn_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:16 AM

What grade levels are you dealing with?

#3 Meldog

Meldog

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Music (of course), Rollerblading, Golf, Hockey, Camping/Hiking, Biking, Star Wars (who doesn't like the movies:)

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:38 AM

Grade level will definitely dictate how you handle it!! A big part of it will be your attitude and how you talk and interact with the students. You need to give them the best experience possible, pick great music that will allow you to really teach them. The students know where they are and why, you can also use this experience as a motivator for them. Remedial bands can offer them a great experience and give them the tools necessary to play in one of the upper bands.
Adam W. Metzler
Central Aroostook High School & Fort Street Elementary School Instrumental Music Teacher

#4 Kadmon

Kadmon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hi,
I'm newly assigned to teach a remedial band, ie. the kids who didn't make the other two bands in audition. I'm concerned about motivating them to want to do well and not just feel like they belong to the "losers" group. Any thoughts?

Thanks for responding. The kids are High School, 9-12.
I am hoping to challenge them a little bit by working for their performances, (early Feb.); and contest(late March); and then the year end concert too. Last year they received a 2 at contest and I want to encourage them to get a 1. (Grade 3).

I'm working on tone quality and rhythms, and although essential, both can be a bit boring after a while.

Thanks again.

#5 Meldog

Meldog

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Music (of course), Rollerblading, Golf, Hockey, Camping/Hiking, Biking, Star Wars (who doesn't like the movies:)

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

At that age level it's all about the experience. Teach them as much as you can but you need to give them the experience so the older kids can leave saying they had fun and will maybe continue on with community groups or college groups for fun. The younger kids you need to have the opportunities for them to keep advancing so maybe they can make one of the upper groups. There is a wide range in priorities in a situation like you are in but it can also be a lot of fun for you and the students. Just don't let them forgot about the fun and joy of music!!
Adam W. Metzler
Central Aroostook High School & Fort Street Elementary School Instrumental Music Teacher

#6 Kadmon

Kadmon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:33 AM

Thanks Adam !