What's a GREAT Grade 2 lyrical festival piece?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kathy Azari_*

• Guests

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:08 AM

I have been looking for the ideal lyrical piece for festival that my group could play this spring. The problem is that I have MANY talented percussionists that I hate to bore/ignore during this preparation time. Please help! Its a middle school band with quite nice instrumentation (except too many talented/wild percussionists). Thanks

#2 Guest_Michael Kebodeaux_*

• Guests

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:50 AM

I am not sure of the percussion demands on these tunes but two nice lyrical works for this level are:

Hearland Heritage
Childhood Hymn

:blink:

#3 Guest_Michael Kebodeaux_*

• Guests

Posted 13 February 2005 - 03:51 AM

Another tune that you may find useful in the grade II level that works with percussion and with some lyrical components is "Beyond the Seven Hills"

#4 Guest_Jon Fulkerson_*

• Guests

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:28 PM

Check out "Pinnacle" by Rob Grice. It's available on pepper or through Grand Mesa directly. It's about a grade 2 (although Texas called it a grade 1.) You'll certainly find that it is a challenge for all percussion involved.

#5 Guest_Kathy Azari_*

• Guests

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'm already playing Zeal by Rob Grice so Pinnacle is out...but I really think Beyond the Seven Hills is the Ticket!!!!!!! Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Michael

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:23 PM

In the Shining of the Stars by Robert Sheldon is nice.

#7 Guest_Brad_*

• Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 11:23 AM

In The Shining of the Stars would be my first suggestion. Also, you may want to check out Canticum by Curnow. It's not very hard and has a great lyrical section in the middle. The percussion parts are very easy but still involved enough to keep them busy.

#8 Mooney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:15 AM

I would also check out "Country Wildflowers"-Daehn or a little easier "Song for Friends" -Daehn

#9 Guest_Dave Blake_*

• Guests

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

Gary P. Gilroy "At Water's Edge"

Great percussion parts involving many different instruments. Amazing lyrical lines.

#10 Texas Bandmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

Try "Precious Treasures" from Dennis Eveland. This work got high remarks from the Instrumentalist review. Here is a link to the song.

http://www.trnmusic....ets/cbpre7.html