Music -- Originals or copies?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michael_*

• Guests

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:45 PM

Do you all give out originals, or make copies? I usually give out the originals, but this year I am pulling out stuff that is missing tons of parts. I must have not done a good job a few years ago, because I let those flutes get away with not turning in their music.

What are some thoughts?

Michael

#2 JoAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

I give out originals and try to always leave one in the folder. I number all the parts and keep track of which student has which number. (Then if a sheet slips out of a folder, it can be returned to the right place.) It is a time committment, but sometimes there are students who really like doing this kind of work!
Good Luck,

JoAnn

#3 Michael

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:39 PM

[quote name='JoAnn' date='Jan 10 2007, 06:49 PM' post='1658']
I give out originals and try to always leave one in the folder. I number all the parts and keep track of which student has which number. (Then if a sheet slips out of a folder, it can be returned to the right place.) It is a time committment, but sometimes there are students who really like doing this kind of work!
Good Luck,

JoAnn
[/quote]

That's not a bad idea. I had a student help me one year and it didn't work out too well. Perhaps I can should try again. I like the numbering idea.

Michael

#4 Meldog

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Music (of course), Rollerblading, Golf, Hockey, Camping/Hiking, Biking, Star Wars (who doesn't like the movies:)

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

The numbering thing works great. I am in a very small school district so I just make copies because it's really not that hard or time consuming. When you have under 20 kids in your groups copies isn't a big deal but if I had a bigger group I would use the numbering thingy (love the technical words I use..lol)
Adam W. Metzler
Central Aroostook High School & Fort Street Elementary School Instrumental Music Teacher

#5 Michael

Bandmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 11:18 PM

My problem is that I have a large band and seem to be making copies for two or three sections everytime I pass out a song. Its getting harder to keep track of everything to make sure I have enough for the future.

Michael